My Blog

Experiencing the Doctor’s Office with a Latex Allergy

If your child has a documented latex allergy, then every time they enter a medical environment, you should ensure that the environment is as LATEX-SAFE as possible. You should, when possible, inform the doctor or dentist at least 24 hours prior to your visit of your child’s problem. 

This gives them the opportunity to order medication for your child, and to clean the environment of latex residue. If they use latex gloves on other patients, your child should be the first case of the day, or the week, if possible. It is not good practice to use latex gloves in one room when you are treating a latex allergic patient in another. 

If the health care provider does not take the problem seriously, find one who does take it seriously. 

Visiting the Hospital 

The hospital is the most dangerous place a latex-allergic individual can visit. To treat a latex allergic patient, the hospital must be able to provide a LATEX-SAFE environment. This requires that they have LATEX-SAFE protocols and procedures in place, and doctors who take the problem seriously. If they are unable to document that they are LATEX-SAFE, avoid them unless it is an emergency. 


There is no cure for latex allergy. If someone is in a high-risk group, they can prevent the development of latex allergy by avoiding latex products in all areas of their lives. If they have already developed latex allergy, avoidance may lessen the degree of disease they develop. 

If your child is in a high-risk group, you must not allow latex medical products to be used on them, and you and your child must practice latex avoidance. 

Treatment of reactions requires removal of the offending latex, and drug treatment according to the type of symptoms developing. Your child must wear a Medic Alert bracelet & Carry an emergency epinephrine syringe, Epi-pen.